Safety Tips For Students
Safety Tips for Students
- Know the route to and from the bus stop
- Know the safety precautions and common courtesies to be maintained en route and at the bus stop
- Know the correct bus route number
- Discuss what to do if the bus is late in the morning or no one is home in the afternoon
- ALWAYS board and depart the bus at the correct stop as known and approved by the parent
Boarding the Bus
- Let the bus come to a complete stop before boarding.
- Enter the bus one person at a time.
- Board quickly without crowding or pushing.
- Use the handrail, and do not run on the steps.
- Go directly to a seat.
- Sit upright, facing the front.
Getting off the Bus
- Wait for the bus to stop completely before getting up from your seat, then walk to the front door and exit, using the handrail.
- If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk at least ten feet ahead of the bus along the side of the road until you can turn around and see the driver.
- Make sure that the driver can see you.
- Wait for a signal from the driver before beginning to cross.
- When the driver signals, walk across the road keeping an eye out for sudden traffic changes.
- Do not cross the center line of the road until the driver has signaled that it is safe for you to begin walking.
- Stay away from the bus's rear wheels at all times.
Crossing the Street
- Stop at the curb or the edge of the road and look left, then right, and then left again before crossing.
- Continue look both ways until you are safely across the street.
- If your vision is blocked by a parked car or other obstacle, carefully move out to where drivers can see you and you can see other vehicles, then stop, and look left-right-and left again.
The Danger Zone