Age of Entrance for Beginners in the Public School
The board shall establish age requirements for the admission of beginners which are consistent with statute and sound educational practice and which ensure the equitable treatment of all eligible children.
A child is eligible for admission to kindergarten if s/he is five (5) years old on or before October 1 or recommended as an exception by the Child Study Center. The Superintendent or designee shall require that each student who registers for entrance to school exhibits a birth certificate or similar documentation as proof of age and birthdate, along with proof of required immunizations and residency.
Beginners are students entering the lowest grade of the elementary school above the kindergarten level who are attending the Bethlehem Area School District for the first time. They shall be admitted to school only during the first two (2) weeks of the annual school term, except that a child who is eight (8) years of age may begin school at any time during the school year.
An exception may be made, upon the recommendation of the principal and the approval of the Superintendent, for children of kindergarten age who move into the district before December 31, but after the expiration of the two-week admission period.
Children are eligible for admission to the first grade if they are six (6) years old on or before October 1 of that year or if they have successfully completed a Pennsylvania public school kindergarten program.
C. Early Admissions
Students not meeting the above criteria may be recommended for early admission to kindergarten or grade one if the following criteria are met:
- Written requests will be accepted beginning January 1 to July 30 for a child who will not be five (5) years old on or before October 1 for kindergarten, or six (6) years old on or before October 1 for grade one. Early admission testing will occur between May 1 and August 1. Requests from new residents of Bethlehem will be accepted until the end of the first day of school.
- To be eligible for early admission testing, a child who will not be five (5) years old on or before October 1 for kindergarten, or six (6) years old on or before October 1 for grade one, must have a birthday in October or November during the calendar year that the application is received.
- The child must be recommended for early admission based on established criteria by the district. Only the results of tests administered by the district personnel are recognized for the purpose of early admission. The results of outside testing are not considered.
- The results of the tests administered for early admission are final. There is no appeal.
- Students who have completed an accredited kindergarten or grade 1 satisfactorily will be accepted.
- Students transferring into the District after August 1 and do not meet the age requirement will be considered on an individual basis based upon review of record and assessments.
D. Open Enrollment